Association for Union Democracy

How to get your union’s LM-2 and other financial reports

Unions covered by the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act are required to submit annual financial statements to the US Department of Labor. These statements provide basic information (click here to find out what’s on an LM-2, and what LM-3 and LM-4 are). LM-2 reports are public documents that you can distribute. LM-2 forms are now online on the website of the US Department of Labor ( Note: the forms are searchable, this means you can look for all officers earning over $100,000, for example, or for information about a particular officer or employee of the union. You can also get information on union Trusts and PACs. (To search use this link

Here’s how to find the LM-2 information for your union:

1. Go to this page (this link opens in a new window):

2. Select “union” then choose the union’s Abbreviation (CWA for example), or enter the union’s Affiliation (for example “Communications Workers AFL-CIO”), Organization Name (“Communications Workers of America”), Designation Name (whether it is a local, council, conference, etc.), Designation Number (the local or council number, say “Local 1101”), Unit Name (name of that particular unit), City (“New York”) and State (“New York”). Most of the form blanks have drop down menus, so you can find the official name. You do not need to fill in all the fields to search.

3. When you have put in the information, hit “submit.” The search engine will open a new page with a list of unions and reports that match your search.

4. Select the file you want to see and the type of report you are looking for. If you want to see salary information for officers and employees, select “Reports Specific to LM2s, LM3s, and T-1s; Officer/Employee Report.” 5. NOTE: You may have to look at various reports to find the information you want. Also, be sure to check all the pages of a form, not just the page that comes up on your screen (look for the “Records Next” button on the upper right.) You can also download the information.

What’s on an LM-2 form? The LM-2 Form will tell you when the next union election is, how many members the union has, the salaries of officers and staff, andother useful information, including: “whether the union has any subsidiary organizations; whether the union has a political action committee (PAC); whether the union discovered any loss or shortage of funds; number of members; rates of dues and fees; 7 asset categories such as cash and investments; 4 liability categories such as accounts payable and mortgages payable; 16 receipt categories such as dues and interest; 18 disbursement categories such as payments to officers and repayment of loans obtained; a schedule of payments to officers; a schedule of payments to employees; a schedule of office and administrative expense; a schedule of loans payable” and more.

What’s an LM-3 form? The LM-3, and LM-4 forms are simplified versions of the LM-2 for smaller unions.

Popular Categories

Find curated and hard to find texts, AUD t-shirts, stickers and more.

Choose whatever subscription fits your needs, receive our publications and other benefits.

Connect with like minded reformers, stay up to date on our supporters and events.

Herman's Cure 2016